Senior Engineering Technician - Civil/Survey (Aviation)
Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team, is looking for a Civil Designer (Engineering Specialist) who has extensive experience conducting topographic surveys and developing preliminary and final designs for various transportation projects.
As a member of our Aviation team, you will work alongside a team of passionate engineering and planning professionals to provide services to general aviation and commercial airports across the country. As a Civil Engineering Specialist, you will be responsible for preparing detailed drawings for rehabilitation and construction of various aviation projects (runways, taxiways, and aprons). You will be responsible for preparing preliminary designs, developing alignments and profiles, and creating construction documentation from a collection of sketches, plans, specifications, and written and verbal instructions using computer-aided drafting programs such as Civil 3D and AutoCAD. You will also frequently calculate project dimensions and elevations as well as tabulate quantities and draft cost estimates.
You will also be responsible for managing and overseeing a variety of in-office and field-based tasks associated with airport / airfield surveying projects including preparing survey plans, conducting surveys (topographic, as-builts, and engineering design), reviewing survey maps and drawings, researching survey records, performing quality control reviews, and developing survey estimates and schedules. You will also be responsible for assisting with construction administration tasks by serving as an advisor/observer throughout the construction process, attending pre-construction and progress meetings, conducting constructability reviews, preparing status reports, identifying design issues and providing assistance in resolving construction challenges, determining material specifications, and coordinating material testing.
Note: To be considered for this position and to perform the assigned responsibilities, the selected candidate must complete and pass all background and security requests required by state and/or federal agencies responsible for aviation operations as a condition of employment. In this position, you will be exposed to adverse weather conditions, loud noise, and work in close proximity to heavy construction equipment.
- Associates Degree in Civil Engineering Technology, Surveying, Construction Management or related field.
- Minimum of five years of progressive design experience with transportation site development projects including site layouts, roadway or airfield design, vehicular access, site grading, and stormwater management.
- Proficiency with Civil 3D and AutoCAD.
- Strong working knowledge of construction methods / practices, the preparation and assembly of construction documentation, and interpretation of construction plans; Previous experience conducting site inspections / verifications and construction observations.
- Previous experience conducting engineering, as-built, and topographic surveys for transportation, utility design, or similar infrastructure projects; working knowledge of total stations, Global Positioning System (GPS) and data collectors.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to frequently participate in project team meetings and interact directly with clients and technical professionals.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Attention to detail and demonstrated ability or organize and prioritize design tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work outdoors on active construction sites and in close proximity to active airport operations, while carrying up to 40 pounds of surveying equipment, walking over rough terrain, and/or standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel up to 50% to conduct topographic surveys, site verifications/inspections, construction observations, team meetings, client consultations, etc.; Occasional overnight travel will be required.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Previous experience designing various aviation projects.
- Certified Survey Technician.
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS.
- Knowledge of FAA design standards and specifications.
- Previous experience working with Trimble GPS and Trimble Robotics survey equipment.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding Civil Engineering Specialist (Designer) opportunity that will truly get your career off the ground, apply today to join our team!