Intern - Civil Engineering (Rail - Track & Yard) *Summer 2023*
As a member of our Rail team, you will apply your academic knowledge while working alongside Architects, Engineers, and Engineering Technicians to contribute to the design of various mainline, yard, siding, and intermodal track projects located within Chicagoland and throughout the country.
While working on these projects, you will assist with construction administration responsibilities by conducting surveys, interpreting plans, observing construction operations, performing site inspections, and maintaining reports to ensure construction conforms to plans and specifications. On occasion, you may assist in developing preliminary and final designs using AutoCAD and Civil 3D, and performing design calculations for project dimensions and elevations.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2023 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from an assigned project site; however, there may be instances in which this position would be in our office in Downers Grove, IL or provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.Required Qualifications.
- Undergraduate pursuing a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering; an emphasis in transportation and an interest in rail/track design is a plus.
- Previous experience or formal training with AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to ask questions and engage in discussions with team members and other internal contacts.
- Ability to work outdoors, walk and climb over rough terrain while carrying up to 50 pounds, and travel as needed for construction administration and site inspections/visits, etc.
- Ability to travel locally and occasionally overnight for project assignments, team meetings, site visits, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Previous coursework or project assignments related to rail / track design.
- Affiliation with an AREMA student chapter is a plus.
- Thorough understanding of drafting techniques, plan development, and related engineering practices.
- Previous experience developing construction plans and specifications.
- Previous experience with construction administration or surveying responsibilities, including operation of instruments, recording and interpreting data, and staking.
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
If you are looking for a hands-on internship opportunity where you can apply your knowledge to challenges outside the pages of your textbook, then apply on-line today to join our team!Apply