Professional Engineer - Mechanical (Facilities)
Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team, has an opportunity available for a Professional Mechanical Engineer who has extensive experience modeling and designing HVAC, plumbing, and other mechanical systems for industrial and commercial facilities to join our Facilities Engineering team!
As a member of our team, you will work alongside a multi-disciplined team of Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Structural) and Architecture professionals to provide planning, design, construction management, and commissioning services for systems a diverse portfolio of multi-disciplined projects including light and heavy industrial facilities, food and beverage facilities, and educational and commercial facilities.
You will perform energy modeling and life cycle cost analysis while designing complex sustainable building performance systems. You will also be involved with equipment selection and sizing, heat load analysis, and the preparation of mechanical plans, specifications, design details and construction documentation. Furthermore, this position requires participation in project development and fee estimating, attending client presentations and interviews, meeting with code officials, and performing inspections and assessments at project sites. Additionally, opportunities will be available to serve as a Project Manager on mechanical intense projects as well as larger multi-disciplined projects.
For this opportunity, we are seeking experienced professionals to join our team from Downers Grove, IL. Flexible work arrangements will be strongly considered for self-starter and self-sufficient professionals who have demonstrated their ability to work successfully in a remote work environment. Remote work arrangements will be strongly considered for qualified candidates who reside greater than 50 miles from our Downers Grove location. Qualified candidates who reside in locations such as Milwaukee, Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, etc. will be considered.
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university in Mechanical Engineering.
- Five to twelve years design experience of mechanical systems (HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems) for commercial and/or industrial facilities.
- Progressive energy modeling of mechanical HVAC systems.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois, or another state with the ability to obtain registration through reciprocity within additional states.
- Previous experience responding to Requests for Proposals, including estimating mechanical fees.
- Previous experience performing facility or building load calculations and analyzing system components and capabilities in accordance with design and client requirements.
- Previous experience sizing ductwork and/or piping systems.
- Previous experience and ability to prepare studies, technical specifications and construction cost estimates and work with drafters to prepare accurate design drawings.
- Previous experience conducting construction administration and inspection activities.
- Working knowledge associated with design coordination on larger, multi-disciplined projects: Architecture, Civil, Electrical, Structural, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to articulate technical ideas and concepts both visually and in writing; Ability to write specifications and reports and lead and/or participate in discussions during client consultations and project team meetings.
- Ability to travel as needed (up to 20%) for team meetings, client consultations, site inspections/visits, construction management duties, etc.; Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Previous experience and working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit MEP.
- Previous experience working with energy modeling software such as Trane Trace, Trace 3D Plus, IES, or related.
- Previous fire protection system design experience.
- Previous experience with the creation of air balance diagrams, process flow diagrams, equipment general arrangement drawings and piping/HVAC plan drawings.
- Previous experience in boiler and/or chiller system design for facilities.
- LEED certification.