Group Manager - Aviation Planning
Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team of engineering, design, and planning professionals is looking for an aviation planner with engaging leadership skills, a demonstrated ability to cultivate and enhance relationships with prospective and current clients, and a unwavering passion for understanding and delivering in accordance with the needs of the greater aviation community to join our team as the Aviation Planning Group Manager.
As the Aviation Planning Group Manager, you will lead a talented team of planning and GIS professionals to deliver airport master plans, airport layout plans, site selection studies, obstruction analysis, activity forecasts, environmental evaluations, land use compatibility evaluations, and other related airport planning projects for general aviation airport, commercial airport, and airline clients throughout the country. You will also be responsible for the overall growth, vision, and financial performance of the Aviation Planning team and therefore will collaborate with the Vice President of Aviation and other Group Managers to assess outline annual and strategic business objectives, develop and implement marketing plans, track prospective business opportunities, make decisions on strategic project pursuits based on team capabilities, lead proposal development efforts, cultivate and maintain relations with current and prospective clients, represent TKDA at project interviews, and attend local / regional conferences.
As a Group Manager, you will be responsible for managing, recognizing, and developing the talents of your team members, and encouraging and coaching your team to take on progressive and more autonomous responsibilities in alignment with their professional aspirations and annual / strategic business objectives of the Aviation team. Furthermore, you will frequently serve as a Project Manager for planning and multi-discipline projects and be responsible for evaluating the scope, complexity, and scheduling / deliverable requirements along with managing overall project budgets, quality control, and contract execution.
Flexible work arrangements will be considered for those who have demonstrated an ability to work successfully in a hybrid work environment by displaying self-motivation, initiative, teamwork, and strong communication skills.
**Note: For this opportunity, our preference is to find an experienced aviation planner who resides within 75 miles of Saint Paul, MN; however, we will strongly consider candidates who reside within 75 miles of Chicago, IL or Milwaukee, WI or within Southern California (Los Angeles, San Diego, etc.). Candidates must be able to travel regionally and nationally as requested for client and project meetings. To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Airport Management, or related program from an accredited college/university.
- Ten or more years of progressive experience developing, managing, and delivering an extensive portfolio of planning studies for general aviation and commercial service airports.
- Prior experience managing multi-disciplined airport planning projects with a track record of profitability and satisfaction or repeat business.
- Prior business development experience demonstrated by an ability to cultivate, maintain, or deepen client relations and an ability to identify new business / contract opportunities; prior experience pursuing and securing airport planning project opportunities in multiple locations / regions throughout the country is strongly preferred.
- Prior experience coaching, developing, and leading a team of planning, GIS, and/or engineering professionals with varying years of experience and diverse collection of competencies and talents.
- Prior experience preparing thorough and articulate technical reports based on extensive knowledge of FAA airport design and planning principles.
- Demonstrated ability to apply effective written, verbal, and visual communication and presentation skills when managing project teams, coordinating deliverables, facilitating team meetings, developing proposals, preparing reports, engaging in business planning discussions, leading public and stakeholder engagement presentations, and representing the firm and regional and national conferences.
- Ability to travel locally and overnight up to 10% as needed for project meetings, on-site client consultations, or conference attendance.
- Certified Member of American Association of Airport Executives (AAAE).
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification.
- Previous experience contributing to or developing annual business plans and multi-year strategic plans to meet team, division, and corporate operational and financial goals.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, AviPLAN, 3-D rendering software, and various aviation simulation tools.
- Licensed pilot.