Senior Professional Engineer, Mechanical (Facilities)
Our Facilities Engineering team provides planning, design, and construction phase services across all of TKDA’s markets, with the primary focuses on light and heavy industrial facility, food and beverage facilities, and building design. As a senior member of our team, you will lead the mechanical design effort out of our Chicago office on multi-disciplined projects for a diverse client base in our industrial, government, education, and mining markets. Additionally, opportunities will be available to serve as the Project Manager on mechanical intense projects as well as larger multi-disciplined projects.
The mechanical oversight activities on projects include design of complex plant/building systems, load calculations/modeling, dust collection and industrial ventilation, chiller and boiler systems, and HVAC, piping and plumbing systems. The position will also include the preparation of mechanical plans, specifications, design details and construction documentation. Opportunities are also available for project management and project development. Under our “Seller-Doer” approach to business development, you will collaborate with the Mechanical Group Manager, Market Managers, and Vice President of Facilities Engineering to assist in tracking prospective business opportunities and represent TKDA at project interviews and networking events. In addition, you will assist the Group Manager in coaching and mentoring a talented team of mechanical engineering professionals by sharing your technical knowledge and providing professional guidance. You will also assist the Group Manager and the Vice President in redefining department standards and identifying the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to expand the team’s service offerings and capabilities within the Chicagoland area.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university in Mechanical Engineering.
- Ten (10) + years of previous experience with an emphasis on the design of mechanical facility systems design, HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for food and/or industrial facilities.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois, or the ability to obtain registration within six (6) months of employment.
- Previous experience in project management or leading mechanical design for multidiscipline projects.
- Previous experience in responding to Requests for Proposals, including estimating mechanical fees.
- Previous experience performing facility or building load calculations and analyzing system components and capabilities in accordance with design and client requirements.
- Previous experience sizing ductwork and/or piping systems.
- Previous experience and ability to prepare studies, technical specifications and construction cost estimates and work with drafters to prepare accurate design drawings.
- Previous experience conducting construction administration and inspection activities.
- Knowledge associated with working on larger, multi-disciplined projects: Architecture, Civil, Electrical, Structural, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to write specifications and reports and lead and/or participate in discussions during client consultations and project team meetings.
- Ability to travel as needed (up to 20%) for team meetings, client consultations, site inspections/visits, etc.;
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Previous experience and working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit MEP or Plant 3D.
- Previous experience in project management.
- Previous experience with site and facility utility design.
- Previous experience working with energy modeling software such as Trane Trace, IES, or related.
- Previous fire protection system design experience.
- Previous lab ventilation experience.
- Previous experience with the creation of process flow diagrams, piping and instrument diagrams, equipment general arrangement drawings and piping plan drawings.
- Previous experience in boiler and/or chiller plant design for district heating and cooling systems.
- Previous experience with food production facilities.
If you are looking for the opportunity to work in a challenging, creative, and highly-collaborative environment where your talents and ideas will be valued, then apply on-line today to join our team!Apply