Senior Professional Engineer - Mechanical (Facilities)
Are you a self-driven Mechanical Engineer with an entrepreneurial-spirt, a demonstrated ability to lead project teams, and a passion for industrial mechanical system design? Are you looking for an opportunity to expand your responsibilities, leverage your capabilities, and advance your career? Do you want to make a significant impact and contribute to the growth of a well-respected firm? If so, then consider joining our team in downtown Downers Grove, IL!
One of our strategic initiatives over the next year is to expand our mechanical engineering service offerings and capabilities within the Chicagoland area, and we plan to do that by hiring an experienced and motivated Mechanical Engineer like you to play a lead role in our efforts. As a member of our team, you will work alongside a multi-disciplined team of Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Structural) and Architecture professionals to provide an array of services for a number of unique industrial projects throughout the country.
As a Project Engineer, you will lead the mechanical design effort for a diverse project portfolio within the industrial, government, education, and mining market sectors, which may often consist of complex plant/building systems, dust collection and industrial ventilation systems, chiller and boiler systems, and HVAC, piping and plumbing systems. As a Project Engineer, you will also prepare mechanical plans, specifications, design details and construction documentation. As a Project Manager of mechanical intense and multi-discipline projects, you will work directly with clients and staff to define project scope, manage the budget and schedule, provide technical oversight, and implement quality assurance and quality control measures.
Under our “Seller-Doer” approach to business development, you will collaborate with the Mechanical Group Manager, Market Managers, and Vice President of Facilities Engineering to assist in tracking prospective business opportunities and represent TKDA at project interviews and networking events. In addition, you will assist the Group Manager in coaching and mentoring a talented team of mechanical engineering professionals by sharing your technical knowledge and providing professional guidance. You will also assist the Group Manager and the Vice President in redefining department standards and identifying the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to expand the team’s service offerings and capabilities within the Chicagoland area.
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university in Mechanical Engineering.
- Ten (10) + years of experience with an emphasis on the design of mechanical facility systems including HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for food/beverage and/or industrial facilities.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois with an ability to obtain reciprocity registration within other states.
- Experience with project management or leading mechanical design for multidiscipline projects.
- Effective business development skills demonstrated by a track record of pursuing and securing project opportunities in existing and emerging markets and locations / regions; experience responding to Requests for Proposals, including estimating electrical design fees.
- Experience sizing ductwork and/or piping systems and performing facility or building load calculations and analyzing system components and capabilities in accordance with design and client requirements.
- Experience and ability to prepare studies, technical specifications and construction cost estimates and work with drafters to prepare accurate design drawings.
- Experience conducting construction administration and inspection activities.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to write specifications and reports and lead and/or participate in discussions during client consultations and project team meetings.
- Ability to travel as needed (up to 20%) for team meetings, client consultations, site inspections/visits, etc.;
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit MEP or Plant 3D.
- Experience working with energy modeling software such as Trane Trace, IES, or related.
- Previous experience with district heating and cooling, lab ventilation, fire protection, and / or site / facility utility system design.
- Previous experience with the creation of process flow diagrams, piping and instrument diagrams, equipment general arrangement drawings and piping plan drawings.
- Previous experience with food production facilities.
If you are looking for the opportunity to work in a challenging, creative, and highly-collaborative environment where your talents and ideas will be recognized and rewarded, then apply on-line today to join our team!Apply