Intern - Civil Engineering (Rail) *Summer 2023*
If you are an undergraduate pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with a strong interest in transportation, and more specifically within the railroad and/or mass transit sector, then we have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team this summer in Saint Paul, Minnesota!
As a member of our Rail team, you will work alongside civil engineers and technicians and become engaged in a variety of active projects for site planning, roadway, utility, parking lot, grading and drainage, storm water management, and track design projects. Our goal will be to expose you to the various stages of a project life cycle from conception through construction so you have a better understanding of the work we do, how we do it, and more importantly, what it would be like to be an engineering consultant.
Throughout your internship, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of preliminary and final designs using AutoCAD and Civil 3D, and frequently perform calculations for project dimensions and elevations as well as earthwork, utilities, and track quantities. You will also assist with preliminary site assessments and surveys and construction administration responsibilities by working closely with other team members to provide information and feedback on the construction status of projects and any potential construction or design related challenge that may arise.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2023 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from our office in Saint Paul or an assigned project site; however, there may be instances in which this position would be provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Undergraduate pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with a transportation emphasis.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Previous experience or training with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or Microstation.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to ask questions, engage in discussions with team members, and assist with technical report and specification preparation.
- Ability to accurately read and interpret construction documents in accordance with construction activities and requirements.
- Ability to work outdoors on active construction sites while carrying up to 50 pounds and standing for extended periods of time to perform observation and inspection responsibilities.
- Ability to travel locally as needed for project assignments, team meetings, site visits, etc.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- General understanding of drafting techniques and construction plan development practices.
- Previous experience or coursework related to site design and/or linear design.
- Previous experience with construction administration tasks including staking, surveying, inspections, or observations.
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
If you are looking for a hands-on internship opportunity where you can apply your knowledge to challenges outside the pages of your textbook, then apply on-line today to join our team!Apply