Intern - Civil Engineering (Municipal) *Summer 2023*
If you are an undergraduate pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with a municipal engineering emphasis, then we have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team this summer!
As a member of our Municipal Services team, you will work alongside civil engineers and technicians and become engaged in a variety of active municipal infrastructure projects including: underground utilities, storm sewer and drainage systems, wastewater collection and treatment, drinking water supply and distribution, street design, and multi-use trail systems just to name a few. Our goal will be to expose you to the various stages of a project life cycle from conception through construction so you have a better understanding of the work we do, how we do it, and more importantly, what it would be like to be an engineering consultant.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2023 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from our office in Saint Paul, MN or Duluth, MN; however, there may be instances in which this position would be provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Undergraduate pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with a municipal emphasis.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to ask questions, engage in discussions with team members, and assist with technical report and specification preparation.
- Ability to work outdoors on active construction sites while carrying up to 40 pounds.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record; Ability to travel throughout the Twin Cities metro as needed for construction administration and site inspections/visits, etc.
- General understanding of drafting techniques and construction plan development practices.
- Previous experience or training with AutoCAD or Civil 3D.
- Previous experience or training with SewerCAD, HydroCAD, and/or WaterCAD.
- Previous experience or training with ArcGIS.
- Previous experience with construction administration tasks including staking, surveying, inspections, or observations.
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
If you are looking for a hands-on internship opportunity where you can apply your knowledge to challenges outside the pages of your textbook, then apply on-line today to join our team!