Intern - Construction Management *Summer 2023*
Do you prefer working from a construction site instead of a cubicle? Do you enjoy watching stuff get built? Do you enjoy new and interesting challenges every day? If you are an undergraduate pursuing a bachelor’s degree in construction management or construction engineering, then we have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team this summer in Saint Paul, MN as a Construction Management Intern!
As a member of our team, you will assist in overseeing construction operations of various projects to ensure day-to-day activities are consistent with the plans and specifications. You will collaborate with contractors to review and provide input on construction issues and inspect activities in accordance with quality standards and code requirements to ensure projects come in on time and under budget with minimal change orders.
While on-site, you will assist with the construction process by attending pre-construction and progress meetings, preparing and presenting status reports, negotiating change orders, identifying issues and providing assistance in resolving construction and design related challenges, determining desired/required material specifications and coordinating material testing, conducting surveys, measuring quantities for payment, logging and photographing observation and construction activities, and assisting or providing guidance to construction inspectors. While in the office, you will assist with the development of proposals, estimate project budgets and schedules, and conduct constructability reviews of project plans.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2023 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from an assigned project site; however, there may be instances in which this position would be in our office in Saint Paul, MN or provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Undergraduate pursuing a Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Construction Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to ask questions, engage in discussions with team members, and assist with technical report and specification preparation.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel up to 75% to perform site inspections/observations; Overnight travel may be required.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds across rough terrain and stand for extended periods of time to perform observation and inspection responsibilities.
- Basic working knowledge of AutoCAD or Civil 3D.
- General understanding of drafting techniques and construction plan development practices.
- Previous experience with construction administration tasks including staking, surveying, inspections, or observations.
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
If you are looking for a hands-on internship opportunity where you can apply your knowledge to challenges outside the pages of your textbook, then apply on-line today to join our team!Apply