Intern - Civil Engineering Technology *Summer 2023*
Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team of engineering and design professionals has an exciting opportunity available for a Civil Engineering Technology student who is eager to put their CAD talents to use to contribute to the design of a variety of project types.
As a member of our team, you will work alongside a passionate group of civil engineering professionals – including engineers and technicians – and become engaged in the life cycle of a variety of projects including:
- Industrial and commercial site development;
- Utility infrastructure and facility design;
- Corporate and academic campus design;
- Stormwater management systems;
- Wastewater collection and treatment systems;
- Water supply and treatment systems;
- Street and state aid design and improvements;
- Recreational trails;
- Roadway and highway infrastructure;
- Airfield infrastructure (runways, taxiways, and aprons);
- Mainline, yard, siding, and intermodal track;
While working on these projects, you will prepare preliminary and final designs from a collection of sketches, plans, specifications, and written and verbal instructions using Civil 3D and AutoCAD. You will also assist with performing calculations for project dimensions and elevations as well as compute and tabulate quantities. On occasion, you may have the opportunity to visit a project site to conduct conditions or site assessments or to assist with construction administration responsibilities by conducting surveys, observing construction operations, performing inspections, and maintaining progress reports.
The ideal candidate would be available to work 40 hours per week with occasional overtime throughout the summer of 2023 from mid-May through mid-August. This position would primarily work from our office in downtown Saint Paul, MN; however, there may be instances in which this position would be provided with flexible / hybrid work arrangements.
***Out-of-state students are encouraged to apply and may be eligible for housing assistance.***
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
- Undergraduate pursuing an Associate’s Degree in Civil Engineering Technology, Engineering, or related field.
- Working knowledge of Civil 3D and AutoCAD.
- Effective interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills with an ability to ask questions, engage in discussions with team members, and coordinate development of construction documentation through collaboration with others.
- Attention to detail and demonstrated ability or organize and prioritize design tasks.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, etc.).
- Ability to work outdoors on active construction/project sites, carry up to 50 pounds of surveying equipment, walk over rough terrain, and standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel locally as needed for project assignments, team meetings, site visits, etc.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Prior experience developing construction documentation for various site grading, civil utilities, and general site projects.
- Previous experience conducting topographic surveys and processing field data to develop CAD drawings.
- Previous experience performing construction observation and/or survey operations including operation of instruments, recording and interpretation of data, and staking.
Click the link below to learn more about the TKDA Internship Experience:
If you are looking for a hands-on internship opportunity where you can apply your knowledge to challenges outside the pages of your textbook, then apply on-line today to join our team!Apply