Assistant Group Manager - Electrical Engineering
Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team of engineering and design professionals is looking for an experienced electrical engineer with engaging leadership skills and a knowledge of site electrical design to join our team as the Assistant Electrical Group Manager within our Facilities Engineering division in Saint Paul.
As the Assistant Group Manager, you will work directly with the Electrical Group Manager to cultivate the growth, direction, financial performance, and leadership of our Facilities Engineering Electrical team. The Electrical group is involved with the design of electrical power/lighting/fire alarm/security/data plans; one-lines; conduit, luminaire, transformers, panelboards, protective devices, equipment schedules; equipment sections, elevations and layout details, front end and technical specifications, bidding assistance, construction estimates, and construction administration for education, government, energy, food, and Industrial clients. As an Assistant Group Manager, you will coach and mentor a talented team of engineering professionals and be responsible for their professional development in relation to overall team objectives and their professional aspirations.
For this position it is assumed your time would be split between group management, lead designer/engineer, and/or project management responsibilities as outlined below:
- Overseeing the Designers/CAD technicians and Graduate Engineering staff members (4-6 people) who will direct report to this position. This includes:
- Assist the Group Manager in assigning projects to the defined directed reports, and assist in maintaining utilization of those members.
- Mentoring of Direct Reports.
- Mid-year and year end reviews of direct reports along with the Group Manager.
- Assist withthe development of technical specifications, typical details, design calculation tools and software standards for the Designers/CAD technicians and Graduate Engineering staff members within the electrical department.
- Provide and lead Quality Assurance/Quality Control reviews for electrical projects, including review of plan sets and design calculations.
- Electrical Engineer Design Activities including:
- Serve as the lead electrical on multidiscipline projects or the Project Manager of projects.
- Assist in proposals and project development for electrical projects including fee estimating, client presentations and interviews, and site inspections.
- The preparation of electrical plans, specifications, design details and construction documentation for integration the client design process into the TKDA designed facility.
- Perform Construction Admin duties for projects.
- Participate in Electrical Department job interviews for Designers/CAD technicians and Graduate Engineers
- Assume the duties of the Group Manager when they are unavailable including:
- Attending Division planning meetings with other managers.
- Approving time sheets, expense reports, etc.
- Scheduling of electrical staff.
Note: Flexible / hybrid work arrangements (3 days in office / 2 days remote per week) will be considered for self-starter and self-sufficient professionals who have demonstrated an ability to work successfully in a remote work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university in Electrical Engineering.
- Seven (7) + years of progressive experience in electrical design of a variety of commercial and industrial facilities power, lighting, and low voltage systems, including fire protection, phone/data and security camera, and access control.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Minnesota.
- Working knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Previous experience in coaching, mentoring, and developing less experienced professionals with an emphasis on technical design standards, quality control, and/or project management practices.
- Previous experience in responding to requests for proposals, including estimating electrical design fees.
- Previous experience and ability to prepare electrical design documents, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates and work with drafters to prepare accurate design drawings.
- Knowledge associated with working with other disciplines on multi-disciplined projects: Architecture, Civil, Mechanical, Structural, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to write specifications and reports and lead and/or participate in discussions during client consultations and project team meetings.
- Ability to mentor staff members in design.
- Previous experience and exceptional working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit MEP
- Previous experience with Visual or similar lighting software.
- Previous experience with SKM Power Tools
- Previous experience performing design for electrical distribution systems including panel boards, switchboard, MCCs and Medium Voltage Metal Enclosed Switchgear.
- Previous experience in project management.
- Previous experience in business development with a demonstrated record of tracking and securing new project opportunities.
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.Apply