Assistant Group Manager - Civil Engineering
Our employee-owned and multi-disciplined team of engineering and design professionals is looking for an experienced civil engineer with engaging leadership skills and a knowledge of site civil design to join our team as the Assistant Civil Group Manager within our Facilities Engineering division in Saint Paul.
As the Assistant Group Manager, you will work directly with the Civil Group Manager to cultivate the growth, direction, financial performance, and leadership of our Facilities Engineering Civil team, which focuses on site design for clients in the education, government, industrial, energy, and food markets. As an Assistant Group Manager, you will work with the Group Manager to coach and mentor a talented team of engineering professionals and be responsible for their professional development in relation to overall team objectives and their professional aspirations.
For this position it is assumed your time would be split between group management, lead designer/engineer, and/or project management responsibilities as outlined below:
- Overseeing the Designers/CAD technicians and Graduate Engineering staff members (4-6 people) who will direct report to this position. This includes:
- Assist the Group Manager in assigning projects to the defined directed reports, scheduling work assignments, and assist in maintaining utilization of those members.
- Mentoring of direct reports.
- Mid-year and year end reviews of direct reports along with the Group Manager.
- Working with the direct reports to establish annual Business Performance Objectives.
- Assist with the development of design standards, technical specifications, typical details, design calculation tools and software standards for the Civil Group.
- Provide and lead Quality Assurance/Quality Control reviews for civil projects, including review of plan sets, technical specifications, and design calculations.
- Civil Engineer Design Activities including:
- Serve as the lead civil on multidiscipline projects or the Project Manager of projects.
- Assist in proposals and project development for civil projects including fee estimating, client presentations and interviews, and site inspections.
- The preparation of civil plans and design details, specifications, and provide construction administration services.
- Assume the duties of the Group Manager when they are unavailable including:
- Attending Division planning meetings with other managers.
- Approving time sheets, expense reports, etc.
- Scheduling of civil staff.
Note: Flexible / hybrid work arrangements (3 days in office / 2 days remote per week) will be considered for self-starter and self-sufficient professionals who have demonstrated an ability to work successfully in a remote work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college/university in Civil Engineering.
- Seven (7) + years of progressive experience in site design including site layouts, grading, utilities, stormwater management, and site permitting.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Minnesota.
- Previous experience in coaching, mentoring, and developing less experienced professionals with an emphasis on technical design standards, quality control, and/or project management practices.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience managing design projects; strong working knowledge of the project development process including coordination with other disciplines during design and construction.
- Previous experience in responding to requests for proposals, including preparing civil scope of work and estimating civil fees.
- Previous experience and ability to prepare studies, technical specifications and construction cost estimates and work with drafters to prepare accurate design drawings.
- Knowledge associated with working with other disciplines on a larger projects: Architecture, Mechanical, Electrical, Structural, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to write specifications and reports and lead and/or participate in discussions during client consultations and project team meetings.
- Previous experience in business development with a demonstrated record of tracking and securing new project opportunities.
- Previous experience and working knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Registered Professional Engineer in multiple states.
- Flexibility to travel overnight to regional offices.
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.Apply