The Rochester Public Utilities Water Reservoir was completed in August of 2014. The 3.3 million gallon reservoir replaced the existing steel reservoir on the site and will also replace the 4th Street SE Reservoir which is located in the flood plain. The new reservoir is a pre-stressed concrete reservoir with architectural enhancement to match the St. Mary’s Park area.
The Project Team from TKDA and WHKS was led by Verne Jacobsen, PE from TKDA. Rochester Public Utilities design assistance was provided by Douglas Rovang. The new reservoir will provide the additional water storage requirements to meet ultimate demands of the Main Level Service Area which includes Downtown Rochester and the Mayo facilities.
The project included the initial review and evaluation of seven different sites and studied elevated versus ground storage facilities to meet the ultimate water demands of the Main Level Service Area. After review of the various alternatives for increasing the water storage capacity for the area, the final selection was removal of the existing 1917 steel reservoir and to construct the new larger reservoir on the same site.
The aggressive project schedule allowed DN Tanks to remove the old reservoir from service in July 2013 and to place the new reservoir in service by December 1, 2013. The landscape, tree planting and architectural treatments were completed by July 31, 2014.
The architectural and landscape aesthetics were serious consideration in order that the project would match the old existing concrete reservoir, enhance St. Mary’s Park and complement St. Mary’s Hospital Campus. The architectural exterior features included Exterior Insulation Finishing System (EIFS) Arches, brick pilasters, lights and an entrance wall to screen exterior pipes.
The new 3.3 million gallon reservoir has been in service since December 2013 and will provide reliable long term service for the Rochester Public Utilities while fitting in with the neighborhood.